You can use your Sprout Studio galleries for delivering digital files and downloads. This is great for getting your clients their digital files (instead of mailing a USB key), allowing their family and friends to download copies of the photos, or even for sharing (and distributing) digital files with vendors you work with.
In each gallery, there are three levels of permission for downloads:
- Client, which is what your client can download when they're logged in.
- Everyone, which is what anyone can download when they view the gallery.
- Download password, which is a password-protected download that is only available to those who know the download password. You can have as many download passwords as you'd like.
For each permission level, you can specify:
- The Download Preset which will be applied to the photos that are being downloaded. A download preset is a combination of a size (web, medium, large and full-res) and an optional watermark. Go to Settings > Galleries & Albums > Download Presets to create, edit and manage your download presets.
- Whether photos can be downloaded individually.
- Whether the entire gallery can be downloaded.
How to set download permissions for a gallery
While editing a gallery, you can specify the details for each level of permission in the "Download Permissions" panel.
Example of using download permissions, download passwords and download presets
Let's say you're a wedding photographer. Here's what you'd like to do:
- Your clients have the digital files included in their package, so they should be able to download their photos high-resolution, unwatermarked.
- You'd like the friends and family of your clients to be able to download low-resolution watermarked images individually from the gallery so they can share them on social media.
- You'd like to share the gallery with the venue where the wedding was held and let them download medium-resolution images individually for use on their website.
- The florist asked you for some photos from the wedding to share on social media, so you'd like to be able to let her download individual medium-resolution images that are watermarked so she can pick which ones she shares on social media.
With a few clicks, you can do all of this in Sprout Studio galleries. Here's how:
- Set the download permissions for "Logged in Client" to be enabled for "All" and "Each", and set the download preset to be one you create called "High Resolution Unwatermarked".
- Set the download permissions for "Everyone" to be disabled for "All" and enabled for "Each", and set the download preset to be one you create called "Low Resolution Watermarked".
- Create a new download passwords with the password "venue", set the download permissions to be disabled for "All" and enabled for "Each" and set the download preset to be one you create called "Medium Resolution Unwatermarked".
- Create a new download passwords with the password "florist," set the download permissions to be disabled for "All" and enabled for "Each" and set the download preset to be one you create called "Medium Resolution Watermarked."
How your client downloads their photos
While viewing a gallery, your client can click the "Download" button below each image to download that photo. They'll only see this button if you've enabled the "Each" download permission level for them.
Your client can also click the "Download" button in the top-right corner of their gallery to download all photos. They'll only see this button if you've enabled the "All" download permission level for them. Once they click the "Download" button, they'll be required to enter the email address they'd like the ZIP file sent to. Go to Settings > Communication > Automatic Emails to customize the automatic email that is sent for delivering digital files.
While your client is viewing their favorites in a gallery, they can click the "Download" button in the favorites bar to download just their favorites. They'll only see this button if you've enabled the "All" download permission level for them.
How to view all downloads from a gallery
You can view all downloads from a gallery clicking the "Bulk Downloads" badge in the top-right corner while editing a gallery. This will show you a log of all "All" downloads from a gallery.